3.11.2011

WHEN THE POWER GOES OUT


What Will You Do When the Lights Go Out?

"When the power goes off leaving you with no TV, Internet, or email you have a lot of time on your hands. Thankfully there are batteries, so my trusty computer will still work for a few hours, and I can follow my fingers into my thoughts. Looking out my window I can’t see any lights in the neighborhood so at least I know it isn’t just our house that’s in the dark. In addition, there are cars running up and down the street, so I know at least it wasn’t the dreaded EMP blast. The wind was making a strange noise but stopped, so we have come out from under the table since there’s no indication of a tornado on the way. All these kinds of thoughts run through your mind when the lights go off. In other words, when you’re in the dark there’s little light."


That actually has happened quite often to me. The forest surrounding me is full of mature and past-mature trees that frequently bring power lines down. The quiet peacefulness is wonderful. There are only a few neighbors in the wooded cul-de-sac, so it is usually void of noises anyways except for an occasional chainsaw or shotgun in the distance.


Actually, with the power off, I can hear the coyotes or deer calls better. And, the wind! I love the sound of the wind as it moves through the trees.


Got plenty of firewood for the stove for heating and cooking. Batteries run the laptop (yeaaah!!!) which can be recharged. And, got kerosene lanterns for lighting to read my Bible by.

There is something actually to be said for the quiet. God's voice seems to be so much clearer without all of the worldly distractions.

2 comments:

1f Jef said...

EMP or rolling blackouts promising to arrive in the not too distant future as politicians argue over power sources and pollution.
Either way, I'm good. I love it when the juice goes out and I can flex my off-the-grid muscle.

Melissa said...

I really enjoyed exploring your site. I agree, we hear things loud and clear in the quiet. As far as EMP's, what can you do? It would probably be a blessing to many.

FULL TIMING IN OHIO

FULL TIMING IN OHIO